Accessibility links

GCSE Science at Solway Community Technology College

Course description

How does your body work?               How do medicines fight disease?

What causes the stars to twinkle?      Where will we get our energy from?

What makes the crops grow in the fields?

What part do we play in the working of our planet?

 

To answer these and other crucial questions, we need to study Science.

 

How the course is organised?

 

After Easter in Year 9, pupils will be set into two groups based on their End of KS3 Test result and our own assessments, which have taken place throughout the year. Group one will commence the AQA Triple Science course, leading, in most cases, to the award of three GCSEs: Biology, Chemistry and Physics, at the end of Year 11. Group two will follow the Core and Additional Science courses leading to the award of two GCSEs at the end of Year 11.

 

All pupils will study the following topics:

 

  • Human Health, Disease and Drugs
  • Environment, Survival and Evolution
  • Cells and the Growing Plant
  • Proteins, Cell Division and Genetics
  • Atoms, Rocks, Metals and Fuels
  • Polymers, Plant Oils, the Earth and its Atmosphere
  • Rates of Reaction, Energy Changes and Electrolysis
  • Energy and Efficiency
  • Electrical Energy and Waves
  • Forces and Motion
  • Electricity and Radiation
  • Structures and bonding

 

 

 

Triple Science pupils will also study:

 

 

  • Exchange and Transport in Plants and Animals
  • Regulating the Human and Natural Environments
  • Physics in Medicine
  • Making Things Work
  • Analysis, Ammonia and Organic Chemistry

 

 

  • Water, Energy and the Periodic Table

 

 

The assessment will be by three written examinations for each subject, taken at the end of the course in Year 11. These make up 75% of the final GCSE grade. Investigative Skills contribute the remaining 25% of the marks for each subject and are assessed during the course by practical work in class, along with two short written exams.

Entry requirements

Interest in Science.

Further information

Administration

How to apply

If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Solway Community Technology College directly.

Last updated date: 20 May 2014
Provider logo

Key information

  • Start date: Next September
  • Duration: 2 years

Contact details

Venues