French A level at Harris Academy Merton
In Year 12 you will explore and develop your understanding of the contemporary society, cultural background and heritage. You will listen, read and respond to a variety of spoken and written sources and demonstrate flexibility when communicating. You will also manipulate the foreign language accurately to organise facts and ideas, present explanations, opinions and information.
In Year 13 you will learn how to use the foreign language to analyse, hypothesise, evaluate, justify and develop arguments in speech and in writing. In addition you will demonstrate your understanding and awareness of the wider issues associated with the environment and citizenship and where to situate France in the international context.
Unit 1: Spoken Expression and Response in French
Unit 2: Understanding and Written Response in French
Unit 3: Understanding and Spoken Response in French
Unit 4: Research, Understanding and Written Response in French
Standard Sixth Form Entry Requirements:
- To study 4 A levels: must have average GCSE points score of 52+
- To study 3 A levels: must have 7 A* - C grades in full course GCSE subjects
- To study 3 A levels/vocational combination: must have 5 A* - C/9 - 4 grades at GCSE or Merit or above in Vocational subjects
- To study vocational level 3 subjects: 5 A* - C/9 - 4 grades at GCSE or equivalent, with at least a merit/C/4 grade in a relevant vocational qualification or GCSE
- Extended writing A level subject students will need a combination of at least grades 4 and 5 in English Language and English Literature
Subject specific requirements:
Students require a grade B or above in French GCSE and be confident in speaking the language. It is also an advantage if you have some knowledge of the culture and way of life in France and/or a French speaking country. You need to be interested in developing this understanding and in exploring in much more depth the topic areas that you will have covered at GCSE.
Successful completion of AS French with a grade D or above is necessary to carry on to Year 13 French.
The AS units 1 and 2 represent 50% of Advanced GCE.
The A2 units 3 and 4 represent 50% of Advanced GCE.
There will be a range of opportunities open to you, where you can continue to use and further develop your language skills and knowledge of contemporary society. Some students choose to do degree courses in languages, others choose to pursue a Higher Education course in another subject, but choose a language option alongside it. Whether you are interested in continuing your studies or working at home or abroad, a language course at AS or Advanced GCE is an excellent step towards achieving your goals.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Harris Academy Merton directly.