Professional Cookery - Patisserie and Confectionery NVQ Diploma Level 3 at Boston College
This course is designed to prepare the learner for a job in a high class kitchen or to update current skills to allow chefs to develop and improve their own establishment’s standards.
You will specialise in patisserie and confectionery, a specialist bakery and confectionery qualification that has no kitchen content.
To achieve the qualification candidates must complete a minimum of 46 credits in total. 17 credits are compulsory and the remaining 29 can be taken from units of your choice.
The compulsory units include:
- Develop productive working relationships with colleagues
- Maintain the health, hygiene, safety and security of the working environment
- Maintain food safety when storing, preparing and cooking food
The following units are optional:
- Prepare cook and finish complex bread & dough products
- Prepare cook and finish complex cakes biscuits sponges and scones
- Prepare cook and finish complex pastry products
- Prepare process and finish complex chocolate products
- Prepare process and finish marzipan, pastillage and sugar products
- Prepare and cook complex hot desserts
- Prepare and cook complex cold desserts
- Produce sauces fillings and coatings for complex desserts
- Contribute to control of resources
- Contribute to the development and introduction of recipes and menus
- Prepare, cook and finish healthier dishes
NVQ Level 2 in a related subject (or equivalent), plus recent relevant work experience.
Assessment on this course is continual and is supported by regular progress briefings and action planning.
Each Unit has a formal theory test in which the pass mark is 60%
You will also be assessed by questions either oral or written.
These assessments will help you to complete the portfolio, which you will need to gain the qualification.
Each student will also study key skills in communication, IT and application of number.
Successful completion of the NVQ Level 3 should enable graduates to seek employment as a chef patissier in any high class catering establishment world-wide with the prospect of promotion to a senior or executive chef position.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Boston College directly.