Cooking Skills (Block E) at St John's Catholic Comprehensive School
This course has been introduced at St John’s in order to support our students to become independent cooks in preparation for them leaving home. In particular, this course is primarily aimed at students who will potentially be studying at university in as little as two years’ time.
It is intended that at the end of this course, you will not only be able to become self-sufficient in the kitchen so that you can support yourself away from home, but you will also be able to produce meals that the whole family will enjoy eating.
Areas covered –
• Simple and economical dishes such as pizza, burgers, spaghetti bolognese, stir- fry and soups.
• Cooking with pastry in order to create dishes such as pies, sausage rolls and pasties.
• Basic culinary skills, including chopping, whisking, beating, baking and poaching.
• Health, hygiene and food safety.
• Working to a tight budget
This course is purely for enrichment and, as such, there are no specific entry requirements. An interest in preparing and cooking food is desirable.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact St John's Catholic Comprehensive School directly.