Physical Education A Level at Hayesfield Girls' School and Mixed Sixth Form
Why study this subject at Hayesfield?
PE is for students who play or coach regularly and have a real interest in the theory behind sport. The course explores the physiology, psychology and sociology of athletes and can lead to numerous career opportunities.
- Physiological factors affecting performance.
- Psychological themes in physical education.
- Performance in physical education - Practical assessment of skills in relation to conditioned practices and performance situations in one activity, the candidate can be assessed as a performer or a coach. Evaluation of performance for improvement (oral response).
- Socio-cultural issues in physical education and sport.
Regular participation or coaching to a high level (club, county or above).
Interest in themes behind sport.
Students should gain a Grade 6 or above in GCSE PE and two Grade 5s in Science GCSE.
Students who have not studied GCSE PE will be admitted on an individual basis.
- 2 hour exam on physiological factors affecting performance (30%).
- 1 hour exam on psychological factors affecting performance (20%).
- 1 hour exam on socio-cultural issues in physical activity and sport (20%).
- Performance in physical education (30%) - Practical performance in one sport (coach or performer) - Oral evaluation of performance for improvement.
PE Teacher, Sports Scientist, Sports Psychologist, Physiotherapist, Sports Medicine.
This subject works well with
Chemistry, Psychology, Maths, Physics, Applied Science, Biology.
Extra/Super curricular activities
Sports Clubs, Sports Coaching, Sixth Form Games Evening, Intervention Catch-up Support Evening, Sixth Form Leadership Activities, Sixth Form Fixtures.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Hayesfield Girls' School and Mixed Sixth Form directly.