Design Technology - Food Technology A/S at Challenge College
Design and Technology offers candidates and opportunity to gain personal satisfaction and a positive experience from working with a variety of materials. The practical problem solving processes encourage independent learning, creativity and innovation. The distinguishing feature of any design and technology course is its practical nature. Knowledge and Understanding is not therefore, to be acquired purely for its own sake, but in order to apply it to the solution of practical problems which arise in everyday life and in industrial and commercial contexts.
- You will work creatively and overcome challenges in order to make products of high quality.
- You will develop critical understanding of foods functions in food in the classroom.
- You will develop critical understanding of foods structure and function in food.
- You will recognise that technologies can be historical or modern in their design and use.
- You will apply relevant knowledge and skills from other subject areas.
- You will use technology and information handling skills to present you work and identify where technologies are used in industrial food manufacture.
- You will apply Ethical, moral, social and environmental , sustainable, cultural and critical evaluation issues to all your work.
Unit 1 Materials, Components and Application (50%)
This is an externally set examination where students are expected to have knowledge about everyday products, the constraints and considerations designers give to them and from what materials.
Unit 2 Project work Product development (50%)
Independently researched project of the students own choice. This includes research, evaluation, analysis, practical and experimental work.
The knowledge will be gained through:
- Product analysis,
- Product disassembly
- Industrial visits
- Practical cookery
- Experimental work
- Marketing practices
- Lifestyle data
- Critical thinking,
- Industrial and commercial practice
5 or more GCSE grades at grade C or above, one of which must be GCSE Food Technology.
- Written Examination
All AS units are assessed through independent assessment.
This qualification may form part of the entry requirements for progression to higher education or employment. Students may progress to the full A level in this subject from this qualification.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Challenge College directly.