Applied Science BTEC Subsidiary/ Extended Diploma Level 3 at City College Brighton and Hove
Do you want to gain the skills and knowledge to work within the science sector? This course, taught by industry experienced tutors at our Central Campus, will provide you with an overview of the science industry. The course covers a range of scientific disciplines within biology and chemistry but also includes psychology and forensic investigation. It provides the academic and practical skills needed for a number of roles in the science industry.
On this course you will study:
- Fundamentals of Science
- Working in the Science Industry
- Scientific Investigations
- Scientific Practical Techniques
- Perceptions of Science
- Using mathematical tools in Science
In addition a further 12 units of study which may include some of the following:
- Mathematical Calculations for Science
- Using Statistics in Science
- Informatics in Science
- Using Science in the Work place
- Physiology of Human Body Systems
- Physiology of Human Regulation & Reproduction
- Microbiological Techniques
- Chemistry for Biology Technicians
- Genetics and Genetic Engineering
- Practical Chemical Analysis
- Medical Physics Techniques
- Chemical Labatory Techniques
- Forensic Evidence Collection and Analysis
- Forensic Photography
- Criminal Psychology
- Applications Of Forensic Psychology
- Forensic Fire Investigations
- Forensic Science Informatics
- Traffic Accident Investigation
- Criminal Investigation Procedures
- Criminal Investigation in Practice
5 GCSEs at grade C which must include GCSE English, GCSE Mathematics and GCSE Double Science.
Assessment methods are varied and include written assignments, presentations, laboratory experiments and observation of general practical work.
All full time courses are free to EU residents who are under 19 years old on the 31st August 2016. The only fees you have to pay are for specialist resources and equipment and the cost of these varies from £25 to £300 depending upon the subject you are studying.
Depending on your circumstances, you may be eligible for financial help from the college's learner support funds. You should apply for financial support as soon as you receive your offer letter.
Students can continue their study further by embarking on a Higher Education degree course, or Foundation Degree in Science, Public and Emergency Service Management, as well as other related subject areas.
Successful students will have opportunities to seek employment in the Police force, other investigative agencies, fire investigators, Insurance Fire Accident Assessors and Private Investigators.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact City College Brighton and Hove directly.