Photography A Level at East Riding College
This course will be of interest to you if you have a passion for visual culture and if you wish to progress to a higher education course in art or photography (either vocational or academic).
This qualification would help with a career in photography, teaching and IT.
You can study this subject for one year and earn an AS-level or for two years and earn an A2-level.
Students will be expected to develop knowledge and understanding of:
- Use of light as the most important element in photography
- Digital photography, including the pixel and digital processing
- Viewpoint, composition, focus, shutter speed, exposure
- Image acquisition hardware and software and image manipulation
- Analogies between digital and other forms of photography
- Relationships between colour and tone for screen and print-based media
- Use of a range of source material, software and hardware in the generation and development of ideas
This unit comprises of eight hours of unaided supervised time which will be practised under exam conditions. It is submitted to be assessed externally and marks will be given out through the normal A-level results despatch.
- Five GCSEs grade A* to C including a minimum grade B in GCSE English or English Literature, or equivalent qualifications
- Successful interview demonstrating motivation and commitment to the course and an initial assessment
- If English is not your first language you will also need an IELTS score of 5.5 or above.
This course is assessed through a portfolio of coursework and an externally set assignment.
Successful students may wish to progress onto higher education. Students often progress on to degrees in photography or art and design, such as the Level Four BTEC Higher National Certificate in Art and Design or the Level Five BTEC Higher National Diploma in Art and Design. Career possibilities could include photography and work within the media industry on completion of a vocational degree, or within arts or educational organisations on completion of an academic degree.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact East Riding College directly.