Chemistry at St Augustine's Catholic High School
Chemists have greatly improved the quality of life for the majority of people. Our specification is underpinned by recognition of How Science Works, to show Chemists as innovators, designing solutions to the problems that affect modern life. After gaining an understanding of basic concepts like Atomic Structure and Bonding, students go on to learn such topics including:
* The combustion of fossil fuels leads to a net release of carbon dioxide which may cause global warming. We investigate the Chemistry behind alternative energies, such as bio-diesel and fuel cells.
* Ploymers and plastics have many uses in modern society, but Chemists are now addressing issues surrounding their disposal.
* The quest for new materials with specific properties continues to be at the forefront of technological advancements and we equip students to both predict the properties and create new materials.
* The pharmaceutical industry makes advances to improve human life. Students will have the opportunity to synthesise Asprin, with other products being sent off to an analytical laboratory to provide them with feedback on their technique.
* They will learn the benefits and associated risks to humans from medicines. Examples include the unforseen dangers of optical isomers, illustrated by the catastrophic effects of Thailomide on unborn babies.
BB in Science GCSE
B in English Language or Literature or R.S. or History
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact St Augustine's Catholic High School directly.