Hairdressing Level 3 Diploma at Truro and Penwith College
You’ll start off by learning the techniques and science for these advanced techniques. You will then have the opportunity to practice all of your new skills on training heads before carrying out the chosen techniques on clients in the salon.
Then, you’ll start to develop, stretch and challenge your understanding and skills by working to meet clients’ many different requirements. This will build your confidence and employability skills to enable you to find employment within the hairdressing industry.
You’ll have the opportunity to research and develop and stretch your understanding of the knowledge behind all techniques, then showing your understanding through written work to support your practical skills to show your competence for each technique.
To support your college training, you’ll be able to gain industrial experience by attending a Hairdressing Salon of your choice one day per week. You’ll be able to learn about more techniques and methods, alongside gaining confidence in client care and communication while developing your employability skills.
These are the 8 units you will have the opportunity to study in both practical and theory:
- Monitor and maintain health and safety practice in the salon.
- Hairdressing consultation support for colleagues.
- Colour hair to create a variety of looks.
- Cut women’s hair to create a variety of looks.
- Style and dress hair using a variety of techniques.
- Promote and sell products and services to clients.
- Creative hairdressing design skills.
- Hair colour correction.
The requirement is Level 2 Diploma in Women’s Hairdressing VRQ/NVQ
Your achievement in this subject is dependent upon excellent attendance, punctuality and effort. You will learn in a friendly atmosphere, using a variety of assessment methods:
- You will be assessed regularly on your practical skills in the salon. And written assignment work that is conducted as homework.
- Discussions and presentations are a vital part of our assessment process and you will be expected to contribute to these.
- You will review your own performance in 1:1 sessions with your tutor.
- You will undertake mock examinations on each unit in advance of your final exams.
- You will be formally examined on each unit that you study to test your practical competence and knowledge of the subject.
Salons where we work are many and varied. There are also lots of other places where a good hairdresser can work: Leisure clubs and gyms, health and fitness clubs, spa industry, fashion/photographic industry, film/television/theatre, client’s homes, trichologist, cruise liners, clinics and hospitals, residential homes, holiday resorts and hotels, department stores, teaching, product manufacturers and suppliers.
A qualification in Level 3 Women’s Hairdressing is highly valued by many companies and employers alike. A Diploma in Level 3 Women’s Hairdressing will also enable you to study at Level 4 and 5, or subjects such as a Diploma in Level 3 Theatrical, Special Effects and Hair and Media Make-Up.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Truro and Penwith College directly.