Beauty Therapy ITEC Diploma Level 3 at Brockenhurst College
The course will cover units in Body Massage, Facial Electrotherapy Treatments, Massage using pre-blended Aromatherapy oils, Health and Safety Practice in the Salon and Client Care and Communication in Beauty Related Industries.
The candidate will study the theory of all treatments as well as the structure and function of body systems in relation to treatments. Contraindications preventing or restricting treatments and the study of diseases and disorders are also a vital part of the training as well as the underpinning knowledge and skills required to successfully perform the treatments.
Case studies are also required to be completed for this award and ensure that a variety of clients must be consulted and treated in all the above areas and the outcomes of the treatments must be documented in order to gain experience of working with a variety of clients and conditions whilst candidates are still under supervision.
The Diploma is comprised of 3 mandatory units :-
- Unit 822 – Provide Body Massage
- Unit 613 – Monitor & Maintain Health & Safety Practice in the Salon
- Unit 821 – Client Care & Communication in Beauty Related Industries.
- Unit Unit 824 – Provide Facial Electrotherapy Ttreatments
- Unit 825 – Provide Massage using Pre-Blended Aromatherapy Oils,
- Unit 826 – Apply Stone Massage Therapy
- Unit 827 – Provide Indian Head Massage.
All units are mandatory and consist of three elements - theory, practical and case studies. Please note there will be a minimum of 2 hours homework each week.
This Level 3 qualification is suitable for those wishing to become a practitioner in the beauty industry. It is recommended that students have achieved a level of education equivalent to 5 GCSE's at Grades A*-C.
If you are new to ITEC courses, you will be required to attend an informal interview prior to the start of the course when learners will have the opportunity to look around Ultima Academy.
Learners will be required to:
- Have good communication skills.
- Demonstrate a high standard of hygiene and personal care.
- Be well presented at interview.
- Be prepared to wear the appropriate uniform.
- Be well prepared for theory and practical lessons.
- Show a caring, understanding and mature attitude to learning the skills involved.
- Make a commitment to attend all teaching sessions.
- Demonstrate an understanding of and commitment to the high standards of customer service required in dealing with the public in a salon environment and to teamwork.
All learners will require basic IT skills for this course as case studies and assignment work will need to be produced on the computer.
Learners will also need to carry out research work using the Internet .
Once all aspects of the theory have been completed, candidates will be expected to complete a short multiple choice on-line theory examination for the following units -
- Provide Body Massage
- Provide Facial Electrotherapy Treatments
- Provide Massage using pre-blended Aromatherapy oils.
All other units will be assessed by Assignment work.
Case Studies -These are used as the internal assessment of each unit. Case studies are completed under the supervision of the Tutor.
Practical - Once all aspects of the practical have been completed, candidates will be expected to complete the practical examination. This will be undertaken in the College in the presence of an ITEC external examiner.
Candidates will be expected to demonstrate excellent hygiene and client care and to demonstrate competence in their skills.
Candidates must secure a pass level in each element within all of the areas of treatment being assessed.
PLEASE NOTE – the final theory examinations will also be on-line. If you have any questions regarding this – please contact the Adult Learning & Skills Centre for further advice.
- The College will provide a minimum amount of equipment for training. Candidates will also be expected to provide and wear professional work wear throughout their training.
- Candidates will also need a container to keep and transport their own materials and files and folders for case studies.
- Learners will be required to provide Uniform (tunic, trousers and shoes) - please contact the New Milton Centre for an order form and uniform is delivered to learner’s home address. Total cost of uniform if ordered on-line to be advised.
- Reference books - To be advised.
- Learner Kit - please contact the New Milton Centre for an order form. The cost of this kit - to be advised. These items are ordered by learners and are delivered to the learners’s home address.
- Learners will be expected to supply their own towels for use during treatments and will require 2 x large, 2 x medium and 2 x small towels of any colour.
Once candidates have achieved the ITEC Level 3 Diploma in Advanced Beauty Therapy, they may progress on to other ITEC or equivalent awards at Level 3 and 4 for example:
- Level 3 Diploma in Spa Treatments
- Level 4 Diploma in Advanced Skincare
- Level 4 Diploma in Spa and Salon Management
- Level 4 Certificate in Laser and Light treatment for Skin Rejuvenation
- Level 4 Certificate in Laser and Light treatment for Hair Removal.
This award qualifies graduates to operate their own clinic or home visiting practice. Graduates can also gain employment in Beauty Salons, Health Clubs, Health Farms, Spas and Cruise Liners, Retreats and Recreational Centres.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Brockenhurst College directly.