History A Level at Maricourt Catholic High School
Why choose History?
- To build upon your earlier interests and so to understand the present and our past.
- To generate interest in British and world History.
- Give a sense of identity and develop knowledge of other countries and cultures – especially our own.
- A good qualification and preparation for university and life.
In Y12, you will build on your GCSE knowledge by studying Britain 1918 to 1997 in Unit 1 with Mr Dowson. This will look at how life in Britain changed socially, politically and economically over the breadth of the eighty year period. It will also involve looking at the period of change invoked by Margaret Thatcher and its impact on us today. In Unit 2, you will cover a depth study on America 1920-1955 with Mr Marsh, looking at the social, political and economic changes that effected America over the period. In Y13, you will look at Ireland’s search for independence from Britain or changes to warfare over time with Mr Marsh. Unit 4 will be a coursework completed with Mr Dowson.
5 or more A*-C at GCSE including Grade B or above in History and English, supported by teacher recommendation. You must also carry out reading in preparation for the course over the summer ready for September.
We follow Edexcel and as this will be a full A Level, you will be formally assessed through examinations in Y12 and Y13. Your work, both essays and source comparisons will be regularly assessed in lessons and support given on how to improve.
Career opportunities include the following: Accountancy, Business, Banking, Civil Service, Journalism, Law, Politics, Research, Teaching, Tourism, Legal Secretary, and Town Planning
- A-Level history is challenging – High expectation of independence and dedication to your studies
- Resources are geared to the syllabus and you
- Wider reading outside of lessons will be demanded
- Lessons will include Discussion / group work etc.
- Educational residentials
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Maricourt Catholic High School directly.