Physics A Level at Woolwich Polytechnic School for Boys
Have you ever wondered . . .
- Why the universe behaves the way it does?
- How ultrasound can create a picture?
- How fast you would have to travel to fool a speed camera?
- What force would be necessary to stop a formula one car?
- What are CERN looking for?
Physics A Level is one of the most universally accepted qualifications for progression to university.
The course content covers the basis of how things work, from the constituent parts of atoms out to the extent of the universe. You will integrate the concepts studied with a range of practical experiments throughout each topic giving the course both an academic and practical focus. You will learn to apply your knowledge of the key concepts to solve problems in a range of different contexts and applications.
- OCR Physics A is a well established course built on many years of experience, covering the knowledge and understanding necessary to progress to STEM degrees and careers.
- Incorporates both Astrophysics and Medical Imaging.
- Physics is one of the top three A Levels in terms of eligibility for degree entry.
- Development of practical skills in physics
- Physical quantities and units
- Making measurements and analysing data
- Nature of quantities
- Forces in action
- Work, energy and power
- Charge and current
- Energy, power and resistance
- Electrical circuits
- Quantum physics
- Thermal physics
- Circular motion
- Gravitational fields
- Astrophysics and cosmology
- Electric fields
- Nuclear and particle physics
- Medical imaging.
Emphasis throughout the course is on developing knowledge, competence and confidence in practical skills and problem solving.
- A Level is covered by three examinations:
- Total of 6 hours of examinations (2 x 2 hours 15 minutes and 1 x 1 hour 30 minutes) taken at the end of the course.
- A wide range of questions types which include multiple choice, short answer and extended response questions.
- STEM degrees, varieties of Physics, Maths and Engineering.
- Advanced apprenticeships in industry, at present aerospace, nuclear power generation and electrical power distribution.
Essential for access to physics and engineering courses.
Highly regarded for other subjects such as medicine, law and economics because of the thinking skills and problem solving involved.
Subject cross-over with Maths and Chemistry. Makes Maths, Physics and Chemistry a powerful combination to optimise your A Level grades.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Woolwich Polytechnic School for Boys directly.