Further Mathematics A Level at Farlingaye High School
Because of the importance of mathematics, it is the only subject with a second AS and A Level, which extend the standard of A Level Mathematics in both depth and breadth.
Further Mathematics gives the opportunity to study exciting areas of mathematics, such as complex numbers, matrices and and differential equations. The topics covered will deepen your knowledge and understanding of both pure and applied mathematics as well as providing an introduction to those studied at degree level. To choose Further Maths you must also choose Maths in Pool D.
Further Pure 1:
- An introduction to rational functions and their graphs
- matrices and two-dimensional transformations
- complex number arithmetic.
- Numerical solutions of polynomial equations
- numerical differentiation and integration.
- Kinematics, Statistics and Dynamics.
Further Pure 2:
- Further matrices
- polar coordinates
- hyperbolic functions
- further calculus
- further complex numbers including De Moivre’s theorem.
- Numerical and exact methods for the solutionof first and second order linear ordinary differential equations
- Dynamics in one and two dimensions
- work, energy and power
(GCSE grades) Maths A
Numerical Methods and Differential Equations both involve a piece of coursework which counts for 20% of the assessment of the unit.
The remaining assessment is by examination.
All units are equally weighted.
Further Mathematics will develop your problem-solving and analytical skills, which are highly valued by both employers and universities.
Further Mathematics is strongly recommended for degrees in Mathematics, Physical Sciences or Engineering.
It will also help increase your success at university in other maths-related subjects, such as computing and economics.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Farlingaye High School directly.