General Studies A2 AS at Kettering Buccleuch Academy
General Studies is a compulsory course for year 12 students, with an increasing uptake at A2 as personalised learning.
At AS level, students are introduced to major contemporary issues in two papers, each one lasting 1 hour 30 mins.
Students attend two lessons a week, where they cover:
Paper 1 Conflict:
- Human aggression; controversy in science and technology
- tensions in society; politics and the public
- the arts; media bias
- the market; business big and small
- the individual and society; tolerance and intolerance
Paper 2 Space:
- space exploration; climate change
- migration of people; urban and rural
- art and public space; global media
- use of land; buying and selling land
- multiculturalism; green values
Students bring knowledge from other subjects into these topics and the course is designed to pull together other disciplines and subject content into one broad award.
Students will be studying other A level courses.
2 Exam papers
Success in General Studies is evidence that the student has considered and researched a wide range of issues and has continued to use and develop skills acquired at GCSE such as structured essay writing, reading charts, interpreting data and simple calculations. Additionally, the qualification gives students extra UCAS points that can make a difference when applying to university. A considerable number of universities will accept General Studies as an alternative A level.
For further information please contact Mrs Susan Donnelly
All courses are subject to change. You are advised to contact Kettering Buccleuch Academy directly to check courses are still running.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Kettering Buccleuch Academy directly.