Applied Science Level 3 Single Diploma at Harris City Academy Crystal Palace
360 Guided Learning Hours - Equivalent in size to one A Level.
4 units of which 3 are mandatory and 2 are external.
- Mandatory content (83%)
- External assessment (58%)
Designed for learners who are interested in learning about the sector alongside other fields of study, with a view to progressing to a wide range of higher education courses, not necessarily in applied science. To be taken as part of a programme of study that includes other appropriate BTEC Nationals or A Levels.
- Principles and Applications of Science I
- Practical Scientific Procedures and Techniques
- Science Investigation Skills
- Physiology of Human Body Systems
- Human Regulation and Reproduction
- Biological Molecules and Metabolic Pathways
- Genetics and Genetic Engineering
- Diseases and Infections
- Applications of Inorganic Chemistry
- Applications of Organic Chemistry
- Electrical Circuits and their Application
- Astronomy and Space Science
Students are required a Merit grade in Level 2 Applied Science or grade C in Science GCSE.
All of the units developed for external assessment allow learners to demonstrate breadth and depth of achievement. Each assessment is taken under specified conditions, then marked by Pearson and a grade awarded. Learners must achieve all external units at pass grade or above. The styles of external assessment used for qualifications in the Applied Science suite are:
- Examinations – all learners take the same assessment at the same time, normally with a written outcome.
- Set tasks – learners take the assessment during a defined window and demonstrate understanding through completion of a vocational task.
Internally assessed units are completed and marked internally but are required to meet external standard verification.
Due to demand from employers and following discussions with the Sector Skills Council for the Chemical, Nuclear, Oil, Gas, Petroleum and Polymer Industry, six new optional BTEC Polymers units and three BTEC Metals units (from the BTEC Level 3 Nationals in Engineering) have been added to the BTEC Level 3 Nationals in Applied Science qualification. So, even more optional units are available, providing flexibility in designing programmes which specifically meet the needs of students. These units are desirable for apprentices, technicians and for the progress of learners.
Scientists work in industry, the health service, government establishments and educational institutions. Fields of work include research and development and scientific analysis. There are job opportunities in almost every industry, from food and drink to pharmaceuticals. The BTEC Level 3 National Awards, Certificates in Applied Science offer the opportunity to specialise in a variety of areas.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Harris City Academy Crystal Palace directly.