Health & Social Care BTEC Level 2 Extended Certificate at Scarborough Sixth Form College
This is a one year course aimed at students who have not yet got the qualifications for Advanced level study. Successful completion of the course allows students to choose an advanced level course of study if they wish. Students successfully completing the course do not have to continue studying Health and Social Care into Advanced level, although many people choose to. The course develops knowledge and understanding of skills and issues involved in care, health and early years work, so is most suited to people who are interested in a career in this area.
The extended certificate course [3 GCSEs] is made up of the following units;
- Communication and Individual Rights – Here you will be looking at various forms of communication both verbal and non-verbal, and studying the barriers to effective communication and how to overcome them.
- Human Lifespan Development – How does ageing affect our bodies and minds?
- Health and Social Care Values – What values do carers need to have to be successful in their work?
- Healthy Living – The importance of diet and exercise
- Promoting Health and Well-being – How can we persuade others to look after their bodies and minds?
- Equality and Diversity – Treating all service users with respect and dignity without discrimination of any kind
- Individual Rights – What rights do we have and how can health and social care workers help to promote and protect these rights
- Services in Health and Social Care – Looking at the range of services provided and the range of possible careers
You will need to meet the level 2 entry requirements.
Units are assessed through a mixture of examinations and coursework.
In addition, you must complete a one week work experience block at a health and social care setting
Most students who take this course are interested in working in jobs that involved helping people (for example, nursing, social work, counselling and education). Some students take Health and Social Care so they can learn a variety of interpersonal skills that can be useful in lots of different occupations.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Scarborough Sixth Form College directly.