Public Services (Uniformed) BTEC Level 3 Diploma at Reigate College
Public Services provides students with an opportunity to explore the uniformed services such as Police, Fire, Ambulance, Civil Service and the Army. This is a two year course; the Diploma is equivalent to two full A Levels.
The course covers a wide range of topics including:
- Government policies
- Leadership and teamwork
- Citizenship & diversity
- Physical preparation
- Health and lifestyle
- Land based activities
- Water based activities
- Security procedures
- Outdoor adventurous activities
- Crime & its effects
- Instructing physical activity & exercise
Students will need to have 5 GCSEs at grade C or above, preferably including English Language and Mathematics.
Students will enjoy this course if they like to:
- Complete coursework
- Participate in practical tasks to enhance learning
- Participate in physical activities and enjoy the outdoor environment
- Complete independent research
Students should have a keen interest in working within the Public Services and enjoy communicating through speaking and working independently, as well as part of a team. Students should also be willing to take an active part in group discussions and make a meaningful contribution in class.
This course is assessed through coursework and external assessment. Some coursework units might involve writing reports, individual or group presentations or practical tasks.
The exam board for this BTEC is Pearson BTEC.
A qualification in Public Services provides a firm foundation for a career path in this area and can help to set you apart from other applicants. The course also provides students with the transferable skills that are needed for any job. Students are also able to progress to Higher Education at university or other Further Education establishments.
BTEC Level 3 Diploma in Public Services students have the opportunity to take part in a variety of course related experiences. In recent years, these have included:
- A trip to the Invictus Games
- A day with a group of soldiers tackling various Team Building Activities
- A trip to Bowles Outdoor Activity Centre where students had the opportunity to participate in practical activities (rock climbing and skiing) with qualified instructors
- Extreme Mayhem: paint-ball games
- Orienteering: students had the opportunity to participate in a map reading exercise
- Safe Drive Stay Alive: students saw a presentation by Surrey Fire and Rescue Service on ‘Safer Driving’
- A trip to Mercers park to take part in water sports
- PT and fitness training with soldiers
- 'Act now' - emergency procedures for community safety with Surrey Police
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Reigate College directly.