Beauty Therapy NVQ Level 1 at Wirral Metropolitan College
During this course you will study beauty therapy skills which will enable you to assist the Beauty Therapist in a salon. This is a good introduction to NVQ level 2.
This course will enable you to study a wide range of skills, all of which will help you on your chosen career pathway, moving into employment or further training. You will get the opportunity to gain a nationally recognised vocational qualification linked to your chosen career. Also, this course will help you to improve your Maths, English and ICT, plus develop the personal and social skills which employers look for. You will be given support and guidance throughout your learning journey and your progress will be reviewed with you regularly.
Part of your week will be spent working in the college salons learning basic beauty therapy skills and assisting the Level 2 students by preparing clients for treatment and Level 3 students on health farm days.
You will cover the following:
- Facial treatments
- Nail services
- Preparing the work area
- Health and Safety
- Customer service
You will also spend time in the college reception area taking responsibility for the clients entering and leaving the salon.
During your course there will be opportunities for attending National shows and exhibitions.
- Priority will be given to those aged 16-18 years old.
- You need to have a genuine interest in Beauty Therapy and must be prepared to be worked upon in practical sessions.
- An ability to communicate one to one e.g. to a tutor or client and to follow verbal instructions from a tutor or client.
- Minimum Literacy Entry Level 3 (expected to work towards Level 1). Much of the course material is presented in work books. You will need to be able to read these books.
- You need the skills for working with customers e.g. directing and preparing the client for treatment. You may be expected to stand for periods of time and have the skills to clear and tidy work areas.
Before starting, you will take English and maths assessments to ensure you can meet the requirements of the course.
If English is not your first language, you may need an assessment before enrolling on this course.
You will be assessed practically and by completing projects & assignments.
You will need to provide your own equipment and overalls. Approximate cost £40.
This qualification could lead to work within the beauty therapy industry or progress to NVQ 2 Beauty Therapy.
Study programmes are full-time courses for 16-18 year olds which include:
- A qualification such as BTEC Extended Diploma
- Meaningful work experience or preparation for work
- English and maths, if you don't already have GCSE grade A*-C in English and maths already
- Non-study activities such as tutorials, voluntary work, fund-raising/charity work, sport or trips
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Wirral Metropolitan College directly.