Business Studies at St Mary's Catholic High School
Business Studies is your way into university or work. It will develop your knowledge and understanding of several areas of business and give you the skills you need for work.
HOW THE COURSE IS TAUGHT
The course is taught over two years. Students will study 6 units through a variety of methods. Much of the time students will use the ICT facilities to help them with their research.
1. Business Environment
2. Business Resources
4. Business Communication
In addition you will study 2 optional units e.g. Finance/Accountancy, Marketing, Management and Human Resources.
For BTEC study you will need to have at least 5 GCSEs at grade C or above. This must include GCSE Maths & English at grade C or above.
This course is 100% coursework.
• to achieve a ‘pass’ a learner must have satisfied all the pass assessment criteria
• to achieve a ‘merit’ a learner must additionally have satisfied all the merit grading criteria
• to achieve a ‘distinction’ a learner must additionally have satisfied all the distinction grading criteria.
St. Mary’s Sixth Form has a bursary scheme that supports students, who meet eligibility criteria, with the cost of attending college.
The bursary scheme is made up of 2 parts - a payment of £1,200 to a small group of the most vulnerable and a discretionary fund for schools to distribute. The most vulnerable are classified as:
• young people in care;
• care leavers;
• young people in receipt of Income Support;
• disabled young people in receipt of Employment and Support Allowance (ESA) who are also in receipt of Disability Living Allowance (DLA).
The discretionary element can be accessed via an application form and students should contact the Sixth Form office for further details. The College will consider every request for financial assistance and will endeavour to target the fund to help those students in greatest need
BTEC Nationals are designed to provide much of the underpinning knowledge and understanding for the National Occupational Standards (NOS), as well as developing practical skills in preparation for work. The BTEC Level 3 National in Business relates to the following NOS:
• ..management and leadership • ..accounting
• ..customer service • ..marketing and sales
• ..understanding enterprise • ..legal advice
• ..pre-enterprise • ..human resources
• ..business administration • ..health and safety
• ..retail • ..supply chain management
How to apply
You can apply for this course through UCAS Progress. Add this course to your favourites so you can start making an application.