Performing Arts BTEC Level 2 First Extended Certificate at Guildford College
The BTEC Level 2 First Extended Certificate in Performing Arts is a one year foundation course that builds skills in the three main disciplines: acting, singing and dance.
- Students will study a wide range of units within the course, including acting, dance and singing as well as understanding how to create performance for a target audience and how the industry works.
- The course is taught by specialist staff with industry experience.
- Students will be given the opportunity to take part in workshops by professional visiting artists.
- Students will be provided with a range of performance opportunities, some taking place on classroom basis to peers, others within the local community or to an audience of peers and family.
- We have three fully equipped dance studios, including one which is multi-functional for Musical Theatre.
- All our studios have hi-fi facilities with ipod connectivity, TV and video players and mirrors.
- Individual Showcase
- Preparation, Performance and Production
- Acting Skills
- Musical Theatre Skills
- The Performing Arts Industry
- Voice and Speech for Performers
- Performing Scripted Plays
- Contemporary Dance Techniques
- Jazz Dance Techniques
- Movement Skills
5 GCSEs at grade D or above including maths and English.
Students are assessed through a mixture of internal and external assessment.
External assessment includes an onscreen test and an individual showcase under examination conditions.
Internal assessment will be through a mixture of practical performance work and supporting theory work such as essays, presentations, discussions, logbooks and evaluations.
Students are expected to study outside of college in order to gain the most out of their studies. This may include extra rehearsals, as well as line learning, practicing choreography and completing any necessary homework.
At the end of their year with us, students will have the opportunity to audition for our Level 3 Foundation Diplomas in Performing Arts.
All 16-19 year olds on full-time programmes will be required to retake GCSE English and Maths or to undertake Functional Skills, if they have not already attained the equivalent of a GCSE grade C in these subjects, every year of their course, until they complete their studies.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Guildford College directly.