A Level English Literature at The De La Salle Academy
The English Department encourages students to achieve the highest possible standards and develop the ability to work independently. Our aims are:
- To encourage an appreciation of the subject and enable students to become independent learners.
- To broaden students' appreciation of language and literature, both by the study of all forms of literature and by the encouragement of their personal response and their own creative use of language.
- To develop all students' abilities to communicate clearly, effectively and with increasing sophistication, in both spoken and written English, and in a variety of styles and tones appropriate to different contexts.
- To increase motivation by providing authentic, meaningful and relevant learning experiences.
We have a high number of students who continue to study at Key Stage Five. At this stage we follow the AQA specification. In Year 12, students studying for their AS qualification will cover a number of poetry and prose texts including:
- The Kite Runner
- The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night Time
- Death of a Salesman
- The Rime of the Ancient Mariner
Students who progress to study at A2 develop their personal interests in an independent study with texts of their choice. They also study Elements of The Gothic genre with texts such as:
- Dr Faustus
- The Bloody Chamber
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact The De La Salle Academy directly.