Dance A Level at The Trinity Catholic School
1 Understanding dance
Written examination – 40% of AS, 20% of A-Level
2 Choreography and Performance
Practical Coursework – 60% of AS, 30% of A-Level
• The dancer as performer: knowledge and understanding of the demands
made in practice and performance on the dancer.
• Health and safety of the dancer.
• The process and craft of choreography.
• The significance of dances.
• The process of solo choreography from investigation and research of ideas
through to outcome.
• Physical and interpretative skills in relation to performance of the solo
• Performance skills within a duo/trio performance context.
Unit 2 has two sections:
Section A: Solo Choreography and Performance
You will choreograph and perform a solo dance, between two and three
minutes’ duration. Questions are set and pre-released by AQA, from which you
Section B: Performance in a duo/trio
You are required to demonstrate performance skills within the context
of a duo/trio. The dance must be between three and four minutes in
3 Appreciation: Content and Context
Written examination - 50% of A2, 25% of A-Level
4 Group Choreography and Solo Performance
Practical Exam – 50% of A2, 25% of A-Level
• Investigating one area of study from – ballet, modern dance or jazz dance
• Critical analysis and appreciation of one set work and its cultural and
artistic context from a choice of three.
This unit will be assessed through a written paper lasting 1 hour 30 minutes.
• Group choreography from investigation and research of ideas through to
• Solo performance skills in relation to the movement style of a practitioner
within a specific area of study or one of the set work choreographers
prescribed for Unit 3.
This unit has two sections:
Section A: Group Choreography
You will choreograph a group dance, of two to three minutes’ duration, in
which you do not perform. Questions will be set and pre-released by AQA,
from which you will select one.
Section B: Solo performance
You will present a solo performance, of two to three minutes’ duration,
which demonstrates understanding of the movement style of a specific
practitioner from the areas of study or one of the set work choreographers
prescribed in Unit 3.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact The Trinity Catholic School directly.