English Language AS & A Level at NewVIc
English is one of the most widely spoken languages in the world. In this course you will study the role English plays in our society, our attitudes towards it and the varying ways in which we exploit it to suit a variety of contexts, purposes and audiences. In addition, you will develop your writing skills so that you can adapt your style for a range of different audiences and situations.
The course will focus on:
- developing and applying your understanding of the concepts and methods appropriate for the analysis and study of language
- exploring data and examples of language in use
- engaging creatively and critically with a varied programme for the study of English
- developing your skills as producers and interpreters of language
- introduce language study, exploring textual variety and children’s language development
- explore language diversity and change over time
- study the key concepts of audience, purpose, genre and mode and explore language in its wider social, geographical and temporal contexts
- explore processes of language change: this part of the subject content also requires study in social attitudes to, and debates about, language diversity and change
- develop and reflect upon your own writing expertise
- pursue a study of spoken, written or multimodal data, or a mixture of text types, demonstrating knowledge in areas of individual interest
Five or more A*-C grades at GCSE, including English Language (grade 9-5).
Coursework is an important component of this subject and accounts for 20% of the marks. It will enable you to build on your independent study skills. You will submit an independent investigation on an area of language of your choice, as well as some original writing. You will sit two written examinations at the end of the second year
The writing and analytical skills you gain in English Language will help you in any area of higher education, as well as in many careers such as journalism, the media, education and business.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact NewVIc directly.