History A Level at Smithdon High School
The AS/A Level course provides an opportunity for students to develop their knowledge and understanding of key events in British, European and world history. Candidates will develop skills in the research, analysis and evaluation of a wide range of historical source material. They will also be required to think for themselves, write clearly and present a well-reasoned argument effectively, both orally and in writing.
Students following this course are encouraged to:
- develop their interest in history and understand its intrinsic value;
- appreciate social, cultural, religious and ethnic diversity;
- improve as independent learners;
- develop the abi lity to research and ask relevant and significant questions;
- understand the discipline and nature of historical study;
- make links and draw comparisons within and/or across different periods;
- organise and communicate their knowledge, argue a case and reach substantiated judgements.
Any student successfully completing an AS/A Level in History has proved their ability to reason clearly and communicate difficult concepts and ideas effectively. The ability to analyse complex situations and argue a case with clarity and purpose is a skill which is highly prized in a wide range of managerial and professional careers. The law, journalism, the media, politics and any work requiring proven language skills are all areas where historians are strongly repr esented.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Smithdon High School directly.