BTEC Level 2 Travel and Tourism at Ken Stimpson Community School
The course will allow you to develop a wider understanding of how the world of Travel and Tourism works. You will learn about many of the aspects of the Travel and Tourism industry from understanding customer service to organising a travel and tourism study visit. You will be expected to work both independently and as a member of a team. Role-plays and group or individual presentations are an important part of the programme. By studying the BTEC First in Travel and Tourism you will develop a wide range of skills such as: Personal thinking skills, Note Taking, Listening, Essay writing, Presentation and Debating Skills, Report writing, Presentation and role play skills and Research Skills
Mandatory and optional units To achieve the BTEC Level 1/2 Award leaners must complete four units, two core and two optional.
• Unit 1: The UK Travel and Tourism Sector - this unit covers the main types of tourism in the UK, the contribution that travel and tourism makes to the UK economy and the different component industries that make up the UK travel and tourism sector.
• Unit 2: UK Travel and Tourism Destinations - this unit covers what the different types of UK destinations have to offer, as well as locating tourist UK destinations and routes.
There is a further two mandatory units.
Unit 7: Travel and Tourism Business Environments, which will provide you with the ability to apply knowledge and demonstrate analysis through external assessment.
Unit 8 is called ‘International Travel and Tourism Destinations’ and is internally assessed.
We will also cover 8 specialist units from the following list:
• The Development of Travel and Tourism in the UK
• Factors Affecting Worldwide Travel and Tourism
• The Travel and Tourism Customer Experience
• Promotion and Sales in Travel and Tourism
• Travel and Tourism Employment Opportunities • Organising a Travel and Tourism Study Visit
• Holiday Representatives
• UK Travel Agency Operations
• The Cruise Industry
• Hospitality Operations in the Travel and Tourism Sector
• UK Visitor Attractions
A minimum of 3 Grade D and 3 Grade E graded GCSEs
Unit 1 and 7 are externally assessed but the other units are assessed internally thorough the completion of coursework portfolios. Internal assessment enables learners to receive feedback on their progress throughout the course as they gather and provide evidence towards meeting the unit assessment criteria. The qualification is graded at Level1, Level2 Pass, Merit or Distinction
The next step could be to progress onto Further Education and continue your studies in Travel and Tourism - completing a Level 3 BTEC in Travel and Tourism. However, if you do not want to go on to F.E. then there could be employment opportunities awaiting a student with this qualification. This qualification is entirely based on unit areas that prepare and support students who may wish to enter the Travel and Tourism sector directly after completing the qualification.
Level: Level 2 Duration: 1 year Qualification: Pearson BTEC Level 1/ Level 2 First Extended Certificate in Travel and Tourism (Technical Certificate) Entry Requirements: A minimum of 3 Grade D and 3 Grade E graded GCSEs
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Ken Stimpson Community School directly.