Sport (Outdoor and Adventurous Activities) BTEC First Level 2 Extended Certificate/Diploma at Exeter College
This course contains both theory and practical elements with the programme of study specifically designed to introduce students to the outdoor and
adventure industry. This course will enable progression onto the two-year Level 3 in Outdoor Adventure or offer a pathway to either an Apprenticeship in Outdoor Education or to work in the industry itself.
You will study at the new state of the art £5.6M Haven Banks Outdoor Education Centre on the Quay in Exeter. Lectures will be both theoretical and practical.
The course consists of a total of 11 units of study which is made up of a number of specialist and core units:
- Fitness for Sport and Exercise (external exam)
- Practical Sports Performance
- Carrying out a sports-related project
- The mind and sports performance
- The sports performer in action
- Training for personal fitness
- Anatomy and physiology for sports performance (external exam)
- Practical and land-based OAA
- Practical and water-based OAA
- Land-based outdoor and adventurous activity and leadership
- Water-based outdoor and adventurous activity and leadership
You will be offered the opportunity to achieve National Governing Body qualifications in some Outdoor Adventurous Activities, for example, British Canoe Union Level 1 Coach in Paddlesports and Climbing Wall Award. An additional cost will be charged for these, the cost of which is dependent upon the National Governing Body.
You need four GCSEs at grade D or above (including English language). If you have not achieved grade C or above in GCSE English or maths you will be expected to work towards achieving an appropriate Level 2 qualification in both of these subjects. You also need the personal qualities for working in the outdoor adventure industry.
Assessment will be through coursework which will be compiled in a variety of ways including: written, photographic and practical, as well as two external examinations which will be completed on computers. Some of the work may require students to undertake their own research using the Internet, books and journals which are all available at Exeter College.
- Residential costing approx £50
- Text book - approx £25.00 (also available in the college library)
- Practical kit - approx £100.00
- An additional amount for stationery and payment for occasional visits
After completing the BTEC Level 2 Diploma you may pursue employment within the Outdoor Adventure Industry, move to an Apprenticeship in Outdoor Adventurous Activities or continue your studies at Exeter College by progressing to a Level 3 course.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Exeter College directly.