Performing Arts at Solway Community Technology College
A GCSE in Performing Arts
Whether you are interested in music, music technology, DJ’ing, dance, lighting, sound, set design, costume design, masks, puppets, acting, make-up or the support areas of arts management, front of house or marketing and publicity, this could be the course for you. It is an exciting, innovative, challenging yet rewarding course. It will develop you and offer the opportunity for independent, reflective studies.
In addition to helping you acquire subject knowledge, this course:
- engages you in the processes of Performing Arts to develop as confident and effective learners
- offers the opportunity to explore, develop and create work in a range of art forms of your choice
- enables participation in the Performing Arts from a variety of cultures, both independently and interdependently
- can be taken as a Single GCSE (2 units) or as a Double Award (4 units)
- provides a solid grounding and progression for further study of the Arts at A-level
- develops personal attributes including self-confidence, resilience, perseverance, self-discipline and commitment.
- it offers you the opportunity to study a range of different performing art forms, either as a single specialism or combining different performing arts
- it enables you to explore topics of interest and relevance to them in your practical work. The current specification offers a wider choice in the areas of study.
This GCSE is being offered both as a Single GCSE and a Double Award.
Single; Unit 1 – Skills Development 70 marks = 60% Unit 2 – Showcase Performance 60 marks = 40%
Double Award; Unit 1 as above 70 marks = 30% Unit 2 60 marks = 20% + Unit 3 Working to a Commission 70 marks = 30% Unit 4 Final performance/designs 60 marks = 20%
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Solway Community Technology College directly.