MUSIC TECHNOLOGY - AS/A2 Level (Edexcel) at The Crypt School
Both AS & A2 Music Technology are one year courses and are offered as part of a full time study programme
1) Present a portfolio of a Sequenced piece of music, a multi-track recording and a Sequenced arrangement (set stimulus from the exam board) 70%
- This means that you need to be able to listen to a piece of music on a commercially produced CD and replicate this using sequencing software. You also need to use the recording desk to present a fine, finished CD of a group performance.
2) A written, aural examination on styles of popular music from 1910. 30%
3) A Portfolio of three pieces: A Live & Sequenced Integrated recording, a multi-track recording and a composition from a set brief. 60%
4) Analysing and Producing. From given midi-data produce a final mixed sequence under exam conditions. This exam requires you to work from a CD sent by the exam board. 40%
As well as the standard Crypt Sixth form entry requirements, a minimum of a Grade B at GCSE Music or Grade 4 Practical and Music Theory.
For both AS and A2 you need to burn your work to CD and this, together with your log and evaluation, will be sent to the examining board for external marking.
The written paper is also assessed externally.
Music Technology is very good as a subject for any student considering work in the Media, Theatre, Education, and the world of electronically generated sounds.
Who should apply for the course?
This course is for those students who have an interest in working with computers as a sequencing tool and the use of the recording desk. Although composition is not assessed access to areas of the course are greatly enhanced if you play the keyboard, guitar or drumkit.
You do need to be able to read music and have an understanding of music theory and compositional techniques.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact The Crypt School directly.