Music UAL level 2 Diploma at Wirral Metropolitan College
The Level 2 Diploma in Music provides an excellent opportunity to broaden your musical knowledge and playing skills through both practical and academic study. This course will give you the foundations from which to develop yourself as a practicing musician, as well as teaching you the skills you need to study music at a higher level.
This Course allows you to explore various elements of music. It is made up of 7 units which include
- Music Theory
- Solo Performance
- and working in the industry, along with a collection of units which are focused on planning a music event.
You will be expected to study approximately 16 hours in College as well as completing self-directed private study.
This course is aimed at students who want to develop their musical knowledge as well as their playing and performance skills.
You will be advised about the progression opportunities available to you and prepare for this.
The course focuses on practical activities and is for students wanting to follow a vocational programme in either Music Production or Music Performance.
You will study and develop skills in the processes involved in organising and being part of music performances, developing as an artist, music theory, composition and singing.
You will be encouraged to learn additional instruments to your first study instrument and perform in College and at venues in and around Wirral.
Although the emphasis is on practical assignments, you will need to complete written assessments in the form of evaluative log books and rehearsal diaries and contextual and business studies.
Students must be able to perform.
Priority will be given to those aged 16-18 years old.You will need to have at least one of the following:
- Level 1 qualification plus ability to demonstrate working at Level 1 English and maths through Initial Diagnostic Assessment or 3 GCSEs or more at Grade D. (Including English & maths)
- Satisfactory interview and satisfactory reference.
- Related musical experience with an established interest in contemporary music. We may require a simple audition.
- Other related level 1 or 2 qualifications (e.g. Associated Board Music grades)
Before starting your course, you will take assessments in maths and English to make sure that you are working at the right level.
If English is not your first language, you may need an assessment before enrolling on this course.
Students are assessed through projects and assignments.
60% of level 2 music students progressed on to the Level 3 Music Performance course with the remainder going on to study Music Technology and into employment.
Study programmes are full-time courses for 16-18 year olds which include:
- A qualification such as BTEC Extended Diploma
- Meaningful work experience or preparation for work
- English and maths, if you don't already have GCSE grade A*-C in English and maths already
- Non-study activities such as tutorials, voluntary work, fund-raising/charity work, sport or trips
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Wirral Metropolitan College directly.