Hairdressing Apprenticeship Level 2 and Level 3 at Buxton & Leek College
You’ll study practical hairdressing skills and theory with us and then try out what you’ve learned in our on-site salons or in your own place of work.
On the Level 2 course you’ll learn basic techniques such as cutting, shampooing, styling and advising clients.
On the Level 3 course you’ll develop the creative side of your hairdressing and learn about salon management.
Completing an Apprenticeship is not a qualification in its own right. You must complete a framework (NVQ) with the following elements:
• Knowledge based element
• Competence based element
• Transferable skills (functional skills)
• ERR- employee rights and responsibilities
• PLTS – personal, learning and thinking skills.
This combined with on-the-job and off the job training you will spend time in your chosen employment working towards the work based qualification and time with your training provider working towards a technical qualification and transferable skills.
Students will learn how to:
- Change hair colour
- Ensure their actions reduce risks to clients
- Implement and practice health and safety
- Give clients a positive impression of yourself and your organisation
- Set and dress hair
- Advise and consult clients
- Shampoo and condition the hair and scalp
- Style and finish hair
- Cut hair using basic techniques
- Perm and neutralise hair
- Develop and maintain their effectiveness at work.
Level 2: 3-4 GCSEs grade C or above including English Language and ideally Maths or a Level 1 Hairdressing qualification including relevant Functional Skills.
Level 3: NVQ Level 2 Diploma in Hairdressing or equivalent and relevant Functional Skills qualifications.
You'll be continually assessed using a variety of methods, including practical observations, question and answer sessions, written assessments and assignments.
A work based qualification is designed to ensure you are job ready and gain the transferable skills such as communication and application of number that will assist in your career development.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Buxton & Leek College directly.