Carpentry and Joinery Level 1 Diploma at Darlington College
If you are interested in becoming a Joiner or Carpenter or working in associated trades, this course will provide you with the foundations required to begin your career. This is a practical course which will allow you to learn and develop various skills relating to the trade.
The Carpentry & Joinery Diploma study programme will consist of five key elements which you will need to complete:
Main Qualification – as above
Individual & Group tutorial sessions
Industry related work placement (if appropriate)
Development of English and Mathematics. You will be required to undertake a formal qualification if you have not already achieved at L2.
Development of enterprise and employability skills
Disclaimer: This is subject to change and courses running will be subject to the correct number of student enrolling.
This is a practical based course, where you will learn through underpinning theory sessions. Practical assignments are carried out in the college site area where you will learn key principles. This course is supported by individual and group tutorial sessions.
It is also expected that you will attend college in suitable work wear / clothes; it will be possible to order this directly with suppliers during college enrolment.
Theory and practical elements for this course include:
- How to carry out safe working practices in construction
- Knowledge of information, quantities and communication with others
- Knowledge of building methods and construction technology
- Knowledge of basic woodworking joints
- How to maintain and use hand tools
- How to prepare and use portable power tool
* These units may be subject to change and are only representative at this point, however we keep these as up to date as possible. You will be provided with a finalised full course overview at Connecting to College.
3 GCSE’s at grade E or above which must include English and/or Maths.
We will request a school or college report and all potentially suitable applicants will be invited for interview before being offered a place.
You will undertake graded assessments through a range of methods including :
- Practical tasks
- Online Multi-Choice Test
- Paper based Tests
You can progress on to a Level 2 course in Carpentry and Joinery or go on to an Apprenticeship.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Darlington College directly.