Applied Science Level 3 Vocational Qualification at Samuel Whitbread Academy
The Applied General Level 3 qualification is designed to give a vocational broad curriculum which supports students moving into a range of careers and University pathways.
This course is not a BTEC or an A Level but part of the new group of Vocational qualifications.
This course aims to:
• Give students a broad background in science
• Encourage a student’s practical and analytical skills
• Link science into the workplace and allow students to actively experience the science environment.
During the first year students will study three units:
• Unit 1 Key Concepts in Science (a combination of Biology, Chemistry & Physics)
• Unit 2 Applied Analytical Techniques
• Unit 3 Science in the Modern World (including the use of media)
At this stage a Level 3 Certificate can be awarded. If students continue into the second year (Extended Certificate) they will study three further units:
• Unit 4 Human Body
• Unit 5 Investigating Science
• Unit 6 One unit from Microbiology, Medical Physics or Organic Chemistry
• APS 3.8
• Two 4s in GCSE Sciences.
• Grade 4 in GCSE Maths
• Grade 4 in GCSE Language or Literature.
This Level 3 qualification includes internally assessed portfolio work as well as external exams. Teaching strategies include practical, independent enquiry, case studies and theory. All units must be passed to pass the qualification (Ofqual rules).
EXAMINATION & ASSESSMENT BREAKDOWN
• 50% coursework
• 50% external examination
Applied Science is a qualification that allows progression to university or further education but also concentrates on developing skills and awareness of the workplace which any employer would welcome. Former students have progressed into nursing, sports science, teaching and engineering courses at university.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Samuel Whitbread Academy directly.