French A level at Woking College
Knowledge of a foreign language will vastly increase your chances of employment and international mobility. Our French, German and Spanish courses develop language skills and explore topics such as popular culture, media, youth issues, cultural identity and social issues within the context of the country whose language is being studied. Background studies include a film and a piece of literature or a period of history. Lessons are conducted in the foreign language and involve reading, discussion, listening, and pair work. The department offers foreign trips designed to enhance language skills and provide an insight into the country visited.
Component 1 - Examination: Listening, Reading & Writing (2 hours, 30 minutes - 50%)
- Section A: Listening & responding to spoken passages from a range of contexts.
- Section B: Reading & responding to a variety of texts written for different purposes, drawn from a range of authentic sources and adapted as necessary.
- Section C: Translation passage into English & French.
Component 2 - Examination: Writing (2 hours - 20%)
- Section A: Essay on a French film, and a piece of literature.
Component 3 - Examination: Speaking (21-23 minutes inc. preparation time - 30%)
- Section A: Oral assessment of one theme from aspects of current tre
Five A*- C grades (or equivalent 4+) including at least a grade B in French
Examination = 100%
Due to the wide range of language and study skills acquired during the course, A Level French is a highly regarded qualification among university admission tutors. It combines well with business, humanities, arts and even science courses. Of course, A Level French is the requirement to read French itself at university. Competence in French is a distinct advantage for anyone who will work in an international context or have contact with French speakers across the globe.
Outstanding linguists could move on to become translators or even interpreters.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Woking College directly.