Sport & Personal Trainer BTEC Level 3 Subsidiary Diploma at Macclesfield College
This is an exciting new study programme which combines two qualifications and is aimed specifically at highly motivated individuals who wish to enter the instruction industry. The course provides an excellent and varied programme giving you underpinning sports knowledge and also skills to enable learners to plan, deliver and evaluate safe and effective gym sessions. It will also provide you entry on to the Register of Exercise Professionals.
Level 3 Subsidiary Diploma in Sport
You will study a total of seven units throughout the one year of this course. Four core units will provide a general foundation and three specialist units will introduce you to particular topics in more depth. The units will include:
- Principles of anatomy and physiology
- Physiology of fitness
- Assessing risk in sport
- Fitness testing for Sport and Exercise
Level 2 Certificate in Fitness Instruction (Gym)
You will study the following six units;
- Anatomy and physiology and how it relates to fitness and exercise
- Know how to support clients who take part in exercise and physical activity
- Health, safety and welfare in the fitness environment
- Principles of exercise fitness and health
- Planning gym based exercise
- Instructing gym based exercise
Also you will undertake an Emergency First Aid at work qualification as well as have the opportunity to undertake additional coaching qualifications.
Alongside your main programme of study you will also study either GCSE or Functional Skills in English and Maths if you have not achieved a GCSE grade A*-C. If you have achieved a grade C or above in English and Maths then you will engage in extending these skills through an industry based activity.
You will need to achieve;
- A minimum of 4 GCSEs Grade A*-C, ideally including English Language or
- A Level 2 qualification (e.g. BTEC Level 2 Diploma) at Pass grade or above. A GCSE PE/Sports Studies qualification would also be advantageous
You will need to be able to demonstrate of a reasonable degree of fitness.
Following your application to study this course you will be invited to attend an admissions interview with a member of the teaching team to discuss the course and its requirements further.
Level 3 Subsidiary Diploma in Sport
All BTEC Level 3 Subsidiary Diploma units are assessed through project and assignment work. There are no external examinations. Each unit is graded Pass, Merit or Distinction and then an overall grade of Pass, Merit, Distinction or Distinction* is awarded on completion.
Active IQ Level 2 Certificate in Fitness Instruction Gym
You will be assessed by the following methods;
- 2x Theory papers
- Practical observations (formative and summative)
- Completion of portfolio
GCSE and Functional Skills qualifications are assessed through external examination and portfolio work.
You will have the opportunity to take part in educational and industrial visits activities during your course. A financial contribution of £130.00 per year towards the costs of sports kit, visits and activities is to be paid during the first term.
The BTEC Level 3 Subsidiary Diploma is equivalent to one A Level and can attract a maximum of 140 UCAS points. On successful achievement of this course you may:
- Wish to apply to study a Level 3 qualification in advanced instruction or personal training or the Level 2 Award in Instruction Circuit Sessions
- Pursue career opportunities within Sport/Leisure/Fitness Industry or Private Gyms
- Wish to pursue a career in a studio or health club
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Macclesfield College directly.