Physics - AS/A Level at Grŵp Llandrillo Menai
This course develops your understanding of Physics, both the underlying concepts and the practical implications. It can lead to careers in science, engineering, computing and other areas. It also provides preparation for Higher Education, and the problem solving skills used in physics are valuable in all disciplines.
It is also a valuable and interesting subject in its own right. Physics lies at the heart of Science. It is the study of the natural world, with a view to identifying patterns of behaviour, some of which can be summarised in simple Laws of Physics.
The course is suitable if you are a committed student and have achieved good Physics/Science and Maths grades at GCSE level. The course will enhance your interest in the subject and its wider applications, allowing you to excel.
Students are regarded as creative people, making their own sense of phenomena they meet. The course involves learning through experience as much as possible. The learning activities reflect this and include:
- working in groups
- independent study
- the use of computers in practical work
- educational visits
- MOODLE (virtual learning environment)
- 5 GCSEs grade C or above to include English or Welsh (1st language), at least a grade B in Mathematics (Higher Tier) and at least a grade BB in Double Award Science (Core and Additional Science) or at least a grade B in Physics. NOTE: GCSE Applied Science is not acceptable. Specific additional entry requirements will be discussed with you at interview.
- Entry onto the full A Level is based on your performance at AS Level
- All students should be interested in science and its wider applications, and must be willing to read around the subject.
All places are subject to satisfactory interview.
The course is assessed in the first year for the AS Level and in the 2nd year for the A Level.
- AS: 2 examinations in Late May/Early June at the end of the 1st year (worth 40% of the total A Level); and
- A2: Practical Examination, March of the 2nd year, and 2 examinations in June of the 2nd year (worth 60% of the total A Level).
Whether you study the full A Level or just the AS Level, the course adds to your qualifications and helps you to progress. You will gain UCAS points and be able to apply for a range of Higher Education courses at many institutions. You will find that A Level Physics is highly regarded by universities and by employers, particularly for the logical thinking and practical skills it develops.
If you choose to continue your studies in a related subject, there are many degree courses available in Pure and Applied Physics.
A Level Physics can be combined with other A Levels to lead to a broad range of career paths, including numerate careers such as Accountancy, Architecture, Business annd Cartography.
It is also advantageous for a career in the Physical Sciences, in Chemistry, in Life Sciences, including Medicine and Veterinary Science, in Aviation or Meteorology, and for a career in Engineering, including Electronics and Computing.
Your studies on the A Level course will help you to make an informed choice from the options available.Career opportunities
- University level course such as a Foundation or Honours Degree
- Continue with studies with a work-based qualification at the college
Programme code: 0014C03B
This programme is available bilingually at the following campus(es):
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Grŵp Llandrillo Menai directly.