English Literature at Gunnersbury Catholic School
What is English about ?
- English Literature at A Level involves reading widely, independently and critically
- Learning about the traditions of English Literature
- Developing an awareness of the contexts in which texts were written
- Considering other readers interpretations of texts
- Reflecting on personal responses to texts and learning to express these responses through speech and writing
Why I should consider choosing English Literature ?
The study of English Literature enables students to use their imaginations to explore the ideas and experiences of others. The subject compliments many others including History, Modern Languages and Art. It is a well respected A Level and would be an asset in a vast range of careers.
A range of Literature is studied including novels, poetry and drama from a range of periods including Shakespeare.
AS - 2 Units:
- Explorations in Prose and Poetry
- Explorations in Drama
A2 - 2 Units:
- Interpretations of Prose and Poetry
- Reflections in Literary Studies
Applicants will be required at least 5 GCSE passes at grade C or better PLUS grade B in GCSE English Literature.
AS students sit one exam of 2hours and 15 minutes. Students also submit a piece of AS coursework of 2000-2500 words, consisting of two responses to texts that they have studied.
A2 students also sit a further exam of 2 hours and 45 minutes. Students submit a piece of coursework, which can either be one extended study or two shorter studies or a creative response to a question, with commentary.
A Level English Literature is highly regarded by Universities and the subject is invaluable in many careers including Journalism, Law, Teaching, Human Resource Management, Business, Librarianship; indeed any field that requires very good communication skills.
To find out more about this qualification, contact us, ask your Connexions Personal Adviser or school/college careers staff.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Gunnersbury Catholic School directly.