Animal Care Level 2 Intermediate Apprenticeship at Wiltshire College
This programme covers a range of skills and related practices required to work in the animal industry. This level is ideal if you have some knowledge and you want to prove your competence in your role, likely to help you move from a junior to senior position. You may also be looking for a qualification to prepare you for progression to Level 3 qualifications.
At this level, there are five pathways you can choose from:
• Animal Care and Welfare
• Zoos/Wildlife Establishments
• Dog Grooming
• Pet Care and Retail
• Animal Training.
To earn this Level 2 Diploma in Work-based Animal Care (Animal Care and Welfare) 0067-21, you must complete a range of mandatory and optional units. The exact selection of optional units you can choose from depends on your pathway.
Examples of units may include:
• Contribute to the evaluation and implementation of basic animal training programmes
• Control and restrain animals
• Maintain the cleanliness and bio security of the animal care working environment
• Provide opportunities for animals to have freedom to exercise
• Prepare and groom animals
• Prepare feed for animals Apprentices will work alongside experienced personnel to gain much of their knowledge, supplemented by study at college.
And the following transferable skills:
• Functional Skills qualification in English at Level 1 3748-01
• Functional Skills qualification in Mathematics at Level 1 3748-02
Minimum Entry Level 3 or GCSE grade E in Maths and English. All applicants will be required to pass initial assessments in Maths and English.
The units will be assessed by the gathering of work-based evidence into a portfolio. The authenticity, sufficiency and validity of the evidence will be judged by the assessor.
Apprentices successfully completing the Intermediate Apprenticeship have opportunities to progress within the industry by continuing onto an Advanced Apprenticeship in Animal Care or Extended Diploma in Animal Management.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Wiltshire College directly.