Football VTCT NVQ Level 2 at Wirral Metropolitan College
The course has been designed to prepare you for a career in sports coaching. The course will be delivered with an emphasis on Football.
The qualification is a VTCT NVQ Level 2 Certificate in Activity Leadership, which will be delivered with the emphasis on Football.
Wirral Metropolitan College Football Development Centre combines this academic activity leadership qualification with practical skills and technical/tactical development, coaching and the option of competitive or recreational weekly football fixtures depending on ability.
Throughout this qualification you will develop the knowledge and skills needed to prepare you to plan, lead, conclude and review activity sessions in the sports environment. Areas of Study (to include)
- Health, safety and welfare in a sports environment
- Equality & Diversity in Football
- Working in a team or organisation
- Preparation for coaching sessions
- Leading coaching sessions
- Conclude and review sessions
- Enable disabled people to take part in sport
- Set up, take down and store activity equipment
- Support the development of Football activities
You will take part in a variety of activities as part of the course, examples of these are:
- College Football Development Centre representation in The Merseyside Schools & College's League (depending on playing ability)
- Opportunities to play against professional football academies
- Opportunity to gain your FA Level 1 Certificate in Coaching
- Coach mentoring scheme through Dame Kelly Holmes Foundation
- Intra-college competitions
- Manchester City FC stadium tour
- National Football Museum visit.
- Residential visit to London including a visit to Arsenal FC for a festival of football and stadium tours of Emirates and Wembley stadiums
- Training session at The FA's national football centre St George's Park (training facility of the England national squad)
- Adventurous activities which may include gorge walking, abseiling, rock climbing, canoeing, and kayaking.
- Planning and leading sports coaching sessions to local primary school children.
- Work experience placements
Priority will be given to those aged 16-18 years old.You should have a keen interest in football and aspire to pursuing a career in leading sport and active leisure activities.
You will be invited for a practical assessment to determine your current football level.4 GCSEs graded D-G, including Englishs and maths.
Prospective students will need to complete Functional Skills assessments in English and maths. Students must show a profile, at a minimum standard, of Entry Level 3.
If English is not your first language, you may need an assessment before enrolling on this course.
The course is assessed using a combination of practical and portfolio-based activities.
There will be a fee payable to contribute to the residential costs for overnight expeditions and visits, costs will be advised at interview.
At the end of the course you could progress to employment in the sports and fitness industry or continue studying on BTEC Level 3 Football Development at Wirral Met College.
Study programmes are full-time courses for 16-18 year olds which include:
- A qualification such as BTEC Extended Diploma
- Meaningful work experience or preparation for work
- English and maths, if you don't already have GCSE grade A*-C in English and maths already
- Non-study activities such as tutorials, voluntary work, fund-raising/charity work, sport or trips
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Wirral Metropolitan College directly.