BTEC National Extended Certificate in Applied Science - Level 3 at Abraham Darby Academy
The applied science sector is diverse and wide-ranging, including, for example, biomedical, forensic, physical and chemical sciences. There are approx. 5.8 million people employed in applied science occupations in the UK. This equates to approximately 20% of the workforce. The applied science sector has a crucial role to play in delivering economic growth in the UK and allowing companies to compete in a rapidly enlarging global market.
Everyone taking this qualification will study three mandatory units:
- Principles and Application of Science I
- Practical Scientific Procedures and Techniques
- Science Investigation Skills.
Students choose one option unit from a group, which has been designed to support choices in progression to applied science courses in HE. The option units cover content areas such as:
- physiology of human body systems
- biological molecules and metabolic pathways
- applications of inorganic chemistry
- electrical circuits and their application.
The Pearson BTEC Level 3 National Extended Certificate in Applied Science is intended to be an Applied General qualification for post16 students wanting to continue their education through applied learning and who aim to progress to higher education, and ultimately to employment, possibly in the applied science sector. The qualification is equivalent in size to one A level and makes up a third of a typical study programme, normally alongside other A level or vocational qualifications at level 3.
Students join the course from a range of routes. Some students directly apply having taken traditional GCSE Science. The minimum we ask for is at least a C in GCSE English and Maths and a Merit in BTEC and a B grade pass at GCSE Science, but applications are considered on an individual basis.
The qualification is highly regarded by employers and HE. The qualification is intended to carry UCAS points and is recognised by HE providers as contributing to meeting admission requirements for many courses, if taken alongside other qualifications as part of a two year programme of learning, including but not exclusively, those that are science related. This includes strong endorsements from Russell Group Institutions.
The qualification can be taken as part of a diverse programme, leaving progression options fully open.
For example, when taken alongside:
- A-levels such as Maths, Physics and Design and Technology, to progress into engineering and related courses.
- A-level in Psychology and Pearson BTEC Level 3 National Extended Certificate in Sport, to progress into sport psychology courses.
- Pearson BTEC Level 3 National Diploma in Health and Social Care, to progress to nursing courses.
- Pearson BTEC Level 3 National Diploma in Sport and Exercise Science, to progress to sport and exercise science courses.
- A-levels in Geography and Computing, to progress to geography or environmental science courses.
This qualification, when studied with other level 3 qualifications, is primarily designed to support progression to employment, after further study at University. However, it can also support students progressing to employment directly, or via an apprenticeship. It will give successful students the transferable knowledge, understanding and skills that will be an advantage when applying for a range of industry linked training programmes or apprenticeships in the applied science, or other sector of their choice.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Abraham Darby Academy directly.