Health & Social Care BTEC Level 2 Extended Certificate at Macclesfield College
This is a practical work-related course where you will learn by completing projects and assignments that are based on realistic workplace situations, activities and demands. This course will introduce you to your chosen career and provide a good basis from which to progress onto a more advanced qualification.
During this course you will study a maximum of eight units in total. Four core units will provide a general foundation and four specialist units will introduce you to particular topics in more depth.
Core Units will include:
- Human lifespan development external
- Health and social care values
- Effective communication in health and social care
- Healthy living
Specialist Units may include:
- Social influences on health and wellbeing
- Promoting health and wellbeing
- The Impact of nutrition on health and wellbeing
- Equality and diversity in health and social care
- Individual rights in health and social care
- Human body systems and care of disorders
- Services in health and social care
- Creative and therapeutic activities in health and social care
Work experience placements are also an integral part of the course where you will practice caring skills.
Alongside your main programme of study you will also study either GCSE or Functional Skills in English and Maths if you have not achieved a GCSE grade C or above. If you have achieved a grade C or above in GCSE English and Maths, you will engage in extending these skills through a Directed Study Programme.
For this course you will need to have achieved one of the following:
- A minimum of 4 GCSEs Grade D or above, ideally to include English Language
- A Level 1 qualification (e.g. BTEC Level 1 Diploma) with Functional Skills English at Level 1 or above
You will need to have undertaken at least one week of work experience in a health and social care setting. Evidence of this experience must be provided at enrolment in the form of a reference from the setting you attended.
As practical placements are an integral part of the course programme you will also need clearance by the Disclosure and Barring Service.
On receipt of your application to study this course you will be invited to attend an admissions interview with a member of the teaching team to discuss the course and its requirements further.
All BTEC Level 2 Extended Certificate units are assessed through a mix of externally marked assessments and assignment work. Each unit is graded Pass, Merit or Distinction and then an overall grade of PP to D*D*is awarded on completion.
GCSE and Functional Skills qualifications are assessed through external examination and portfolio work.
You will have the opportunity to take part in educational and industrial visits during your course programme. A financial contribution of £40 towards the cost of these visits and activities is to be paid during the first term. Possible visits may include Macclesfield Hospital, the Toy Museum, the Body Worlds Exhibition and the Vitality Exhibition, but could be subject to change.
You will need to complete a Disclosure Barring Service (DBS) check before placements can be secured, this will cost in the region of £45.
In addition to this, you will be required to purchase polo shirts to wear whilst on placement. These will cost approximately £10 each.
You will also be required to pay a £15 book deposit at enrolment which is refundable at the end of the academic year on the return of all loaned books.
On successful completion of this course you may wish to:
- Apply to study the BTEC Level 3 Extended Diploma in Health and Social Care if you have achieved a MM grade or above, or
- Enter a health or social care related career within residential care homes, housing organisations, hospitals, community organisations or the voluntary services
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Macclesfield College directly.