Performing Arts level 3 at Wiltshire College
If you have a passion for Performing Arts, are keen to explore the acting field further, develop your own skills and have ambitions to work in the performing arts or related industries, this is the course for you!
This course is a unique partnership programme between Wiltshire College Salisbury and Salisbury Playhouse.
The course will be delivered at both the Salisbury Campus and Salisbury Playhouse, one of the country’s leading reparatory theatres, by a professional team of acting, directing and technical practitioners who are expert in their specialist fields.
This will give students the best possible advantage when applying for progression to professional training.
As a performance based programme, you will learn many new skills and develop skills from your previous experience, which may have been at a Youth Theatre, Drama/Dance Club or when studying for your GCSE in Drama and Theatre Studies.
All Level 3 Performing Arts (Acting) students at Wiltshire College Salisbury will study the following units:
• The Performing Arts Business
• The Historical Context of Performance
• Principles of Acting
• Developing Movement Skills
• Singing For Actors and Dancers
• Technical Stage Operations
Performing Arts Pathway
This course follows an acting pathway and you will study a range of additional units including:
• Performing to an Audience
• Rehearsing for Performance
• Devising Plays
• Classical Theatre Performance
• Contemporary Theatre Performance
• Applying Acting Styles
• The Practice of Directing Theatre
• Dance Performance
• Choreographic Principles
• Choreographing Dance
• Developing Contemporary Dance Techniques
• Applying Contemporary Dance Techniques
• Movement in Performance
• Singing Skills for Actors and Dancers
• Musical Theatre Performance
• Music Performance Techniques
• Working and Developing as a Musical Ensemble
Most units are achieved through hands on project based performance work as part of the student company although there is a considerable amount of written research to do as well.
4 GCSEs grade A*-C including Maths and English or equivalent (or Merit or Distinction in a related subject at Level 2)
A good reference
A satisfactory audition and interview
You will experience real life skills in performance at Salisbury Playhouse including classical and modern theatre, rehearsal and technical theatre all of which will be underpinned by theory and context.
You will have the opportunity to support professional performances at Salisbury Playhouse, which will be assessed as part of your programme.
First year students start on the 90 Credit Diploma and continue onto the Extended Diploma in their second year. The Extended Diploma is achieved by working towards a total of eighteen units, some delivered intensively over a single term and others gradually across the full two-years.
The final qualification will be a BTEC Level 3 90 Credit/Extended Diploma in Performing Arts – Acting.
This course could enable entrance to drama schools or degrees and Foundation Degrees in:
• Performing arts
• Live art
• Theatre arts
• Community arts
• Musical theatre
• Arts administration
Performing arts students from Wiltshire College progress on to a diverse and exciting range of higher education courses that include:
• Professional training at Central School of Speech & Drama, E15, The Rep
• Drama Schools
• Theatre Performance at Reading University and Bath Spa and others
• BA Drama at Bristol University
• BA Drama at Winchester College for teaching
• BA Dance at Exeter University
In addition to performing as an actor, dancer and musician you will develop experience and knowledge in the following potential employment areas:
• Scriptwriting / Directing
• Arts administration
• Public relations, promotion and marketing
• Theatre in Education
• Presenting and producing
• Community arts work
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Wiltshire College directly.