Health and Social Care BTEC Level 3 Certificate/Extended Certificate at Reigate College
This course can either be taken as a one year course leading to a Certificate (equivalent to one AS) or as a two year course as an Extended Certificate (equivalent to one A Level).
The Level 3 Certificate/Extended Certificate is an excellent general qualification that combines well with a wide range of other courses. Students will study in a positive, creative and friendly environment where they will be motivated and feel confident to express empathy and understanding with a diverse range of human needs. The content is varied and interesting, ranging from Communication and Childcare to Human Body Systems and Psychology. Learning methods include independently researched projects, talks from visiting speakers and work experience.
This course covers a variety of topics such as:
- Developing effective communication in Health & Social Care
- Equality, diversity and rights in Health & Social Care
- Health, safety and security in Health & Social Care
- Growth and development through the life stages
- Health Education (as part of this unit students make a health promotion film)
- Nutrition for Health & Social Care
5 GCSEs Grade A-C. It is recommended that one of these is GCSE English Language. Students on this course should be:
- interested in the care industry
- able to carry out independent research
- able to meet coursework deadlines
Students should enjoy and be good at working with others, communicating in speech and writing, planning their own learning and meeting deadlines. The ability to use information technology is also quite important.
The course is assessed by coursework and external assessment.
The exam board for this BTEC Diploma is Pearson BTEC.
Health and Social Care students may decide to take up a place at university studying one of a number of degrees related to this subject. Popular courses include Nursing, Midwifery, Speech and Language Therapy, Radiography, Physiotherapy, Occupational Therapy and Teaching. A qualification in Health and Social Care will provide essential knowledge of the industry and help prepare students for Higher Education or the world of work.
BTEC Level 3 Certificate/Extended Certificate in Health & Social Care students have the opportunity to take part in a variety of course related experiences. In the last couple of years, these have included:
- Exploring the health benefits of superfoods
- A visit to Canine Partners charity in Heyshott
- A visit to St. Piers School (for autism and epilepsy) in Lingfield
- A visit by a Radiographer from East Surrey Hospital who gave a talk on diagnostic testing
- The 'Safe Drive Stay Alive' presentation at the Dorking Halls, including a talk by Surrey Fire and Rescue Service on ‘Safer Driving’
- Students also organise a Health Fair at College to help educate other students on issues of health and well being
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Reigate College directly.