Professional Dog Stylists City & Guilds (NPTC) Diploma Level 3 at Duchy College
The City and Guilds Level 3 Certificate for Professional Dog Stylists is a course for those who already have a high level of experience within the dog grooming industry, wishing to gain a nationally-recognised qualification to practise as a professional dog groomer. You will need to be working within the dog grooming industry (either as a volunteer or in paid employment) to enable you to practise the grooming skills on a range of dog breeds with different coat types
The course requires you to complete a total of 44 credits and includes the following units:
- Carry out the styling and finishing of dogs (6 credits)
- Assessment and planning of dog grooming work (4 credits)
- Promote and maintain the health & wellbeing of animals (4 credits)
- Health checking a dog by a dog groomer (4 credits)
- Hand stripping a dog's coat (6 credits)
- Style and trim a spaniel's coat (6 credits)
- Style and trim a short-legged terrier's coat (6 credits)
There are also a number of optional units: Optional Group A (you have to complete a minimum of 2 credits from this group):
- Welcome, receive and care for visitors (3 credits)
- Promote, monitor & maintain health, safety & security (6 credits)
- Moving animals between locations (2 credits)
- Handle payments from clients (2 credits)
- Keep stock on sale at required levels in a retail environment (3 credits)
Optional Group B (you have to complete one of the units, worth 6 credits, from this group):
- Style and trim a poodle's coat (6 credits)
- Style and trim a long-legged terrier or Schnauzer's coat (6 credits)
You will need to have completed either the City and Guilds Level 2 Certificate for Dog Grooming Assistants or the Level 2 College Certificate in Dog Grooming and have attained a good level of literacy to enable you to complete the assignment work and written exams. You will also need to be working within the dog grooming industry to be able to gain sufficient experience of grooming and clipping dogs of a range of breeds at industry speed.
The Level 3 Diploma for Professional Dog Stylists will give you the skills to work in the grooming industry and possibly set up your own business. Alternatively you may wish to progress to the Higher Diploma.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Duchy College directly.