Computer Science BTEC Level 3 Extended Diploma for IT Practitioners Year 1 of 2 Group A at Eastleigh College
Computer Science is a broad field that provides a huge marketplace of employment opportunities within a wide range of industries.
Throughout the programme, you will learn industry techniques and skills through the use of common software and tools.
You will learn from professional lecturers with relevant industry backgrounds and knowledge.
This programme provides a foundation in all aspects of programming, with a strong bias towards practical study, mirroring industry practice. Learners will study a range of topics designed to give them a firm grounding in programming and to make them employable in the industry or enable them to apply to university for more specialised training.
During the programme you will learn
- .NET 4 and
- Object Oriented Programming and
- will target a variety of platforms including desktop, phone and tablets.
The Computer Science industry adapts to current needs at an extremely fast pace. Our programmes reflect this and are changed to mirror the skill set required.
The Computer Science industry adapts to current needs at an extremely fast pace. Our programmes reflect this and are changed to mirror the skill set required. Eighteen units are studied from a possible selection of forty three. You will study a broad range of subjects across programming.
Sample units (subject to change):
- Communication and Employability Skills for IT*
- Computer Systems*
- Information Systems*
- Software Design and Development
- Procedural Programming
- Event Driven Programming
- Object Oriented Programming
- Human Computer Interaction
- Computer Game Design
- Developing Computer Games
- Computer Game Platforms and Technologies
- Mathematics for IT Practitioners
Level 3 will include a further six units.
- 5 GCSEs at grade A-C* including English, Maths and a Science. Other qualifications such as BTECs will be considered at interview.
- All applicants should also complete a successful interview in college, demonstrating interest and commitment to study and have good attainment and attendance record from a previous school or college.
- This two year programme offers progression to our own Higher Education program or to a vast range of University offers.
Students will collect evidence in an electronic portfolio and will be assessed by a variety of methods including written and practical learning.
Upon successful completion, this programme is equivalent to three A Levels and will generate 420 UCAS points.
Level 3 Computer Science: Programming will provide entry to the Level 4 / 5 BTEC Higher National Diploma with 180 UCAS points or above.
There are opportunities for employment within the IT sector in programming, technical support services, systems maintenance and user support.
All students will benefit from a modern Windows PC or Apple Mac, along with Internet access from home.
Computer Science students will be entitled to free versions of the software used on the programme, provided by Microsoft through Dream Spark Premium.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Eastleigh College directly.