Accessibility links

Dance AS at Charles Darwin School

Course description

The course is divided into two units at AS. it involves practical performance/choreography and a written exam in the summer. Unit 1 Understanding Dance (the dancer as a performer, the process and craft of choreography and the significance of dances). Written paper with structured and essay-style questions (60 marks). 40% of total AS marks, 20% of total A2 marks. Unit 2 Choreography and Performance (solo choreography and performance; performance in a duo/trio). practical coursework (60 marks). 60% of total AS marks, 30% of total A2 marks. Candidates answer two questions, one on solo choreography and performance and one other on performance in a duo/trio. These are marked by teacher and moderated by AQA.. Section A: Choreography and Performance (60 marks). Candidates choreograph and perform a solo dance between two and three minutes duration. questions are set and pre-released by AQA from which the candidate selects one. Section B: Performance in a duo/tri (30 marks). Candidates are required to demonstrate performance skills within the context of a duo/trio. the dance to be performed can be choreographed by the candidates, teach or both; can be presented in a genre of style; with or without aural accompaniment. The dance must be between three and four minutes in duration. The teacher has ultimate responsibility for ensure the performance addresses all criteria provided by AQA.

Entry requirements

GCSE dance Grade C or equivalent

Future opportunities

Could lead to a career in The Arts, either performing or teaching Solid basis for further education in arts subjectsan open mind to be involved in watching and performing in a range of dance styles Prepared to be challenged in movement styles that may be unfamiliar

Further information

Look at the AQA website Make an appointment to see Mrs Rees at Charles Darwin School

How to apply

If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Charles Darwin School directly.

Last updated date: 20 May 2014
Provider logo

Key information