BTEC Extended Diploma in Sport - Specialist Pathways: Sports Therapy Coaching/Teaching, Fitness and Leisure at Leeds City College
Sample different pathways in sport including sports therapy, coaching and teaching and performance.
In Year 1, you will complete a Foundation Diploma (equivalent to one and a half A-levels) in Sport while following a programme designed to sample different career pathways in sport, including sports therapy, coaching/teaching, fitness and leisure.
In Year 2, you will continue completing the Extended Diploma in Sport focusing on one of the pathways, studying specific units that will enhance your knowledge and understanding of the practical skills in that pathway to help prepare you for higher education. This will prepare you for higher education. The teachers on these pathways will also be active practitioners in industry and will support you to complete pathway relevant work experience on the course.
Year 1 Units:
- Anatomy and Physiology
- Fitness Training and Programming for Health, Sport and Wellbeing
- Professional Development in the Sports Industry
- Sports Leadership
- Practical Sports Performance
- Coaching for Performance
- Research Methods in Sport
Year 2 Units:
- Skill Acquisition in Sport
- Investigating Business in Sport and the Active Leisure Industry
- Development and Provision of Sport and Physical Activity
Chosen Pathway Units, Year 2:
- Coaching and Teaching - Sports Performance Analysis
- Coaching and Teaching - Technical and Tactical Demands for Sport
- Coaching and Teaching - Rules Regulations and Officiating in Sport
- Coaching and Teaching - Work Experience in Active Leisure
- Fitness and Leisure - Leisure Centre Operations
- Fitness and Leisure - Application of Fitness Testing
- Fitness and Leisure - Leisure Management
- Fitness and Leisure - Work Experience in Active Leisure
- Therapy - Sports Injury Management
- Therapy - Sports Event Organisation
- Therapy - Sports Psychology
- Therapy - Work Experience in Active Leisure
English or Maths at grade 4 or above, and three other grades including Science at either C or above /4 or above, depending on grading used.
Level 2 Diploma at Merit grade with English and maths at minimum grade C.
All applicants must have a genuine interest in working in sport, be prepared to participate in physical activities, work in a team, overcome personal challenges and have an enthusiastic approach to learning. Applicants must be willing to work flexibly in order to meet their work experience requirements.
All new NQF BTEC qualifications are a mixture of internal and external assessment, including exams. In year one there will be one exam and one controlled assessment and in year two there are two controlled assessments.
The internally assessed units will be assessed across a range of assessment methods including leading coaching sessions, administering treatments, presentations, reports and video submission. The methods selected are designed to develop the range of skills needed for students to progress onto university.
After successful completion of this course, you could look into gaining a degree in your chosen area or undertaking a higher apprenticeship with a business.
English and Maths are built into your course if your grades are below 4/5
How to apply
You can apply for this course through UCAS Progress. Add this course to your favourites so you can start making an application.