Product Design A Level at QE Academy Trust
This course is designed to help students in their understanding and enjoyment of designing for making either on a ‘one‐off’ basis or for mass production. If you enjoy making involving any of the resistant materials you are likely to find in a workshop then this is the course for you. The perfect AS/A level student would:
*Read around the subject…..
*Be able to manage their own time and meet deadlines…
*Be a problem solver….
*Be able to enjoy the process of working on a project under time pressure…
*Be able to quickly learn and adapt quickly….
DT1 – WRITTEN PAPER – 40%
DT1 – WRITTEN PAPER – 2 hours
The examination paper DT1 will examine candidates on the following four blocks:
* Designing and Innovation
* Product Analysis
* Materials and Components
* Industrial and Commercial Practice
DT 2 ‐ The Design and Make project – 60%
You will be assessed on the product that you make as well as the design portfolio that goes along with it. You will be marked on the quality of your designed and made item; this is combined with your portfolio to make up 60% of the course. The remaining 40% will be gained through answering the exam at the end of the academic year.
You could take this course simply because you enjoy making products. You could also take it to gain entry onto a huge variety of design courses across the country including product design, engineering, architecture, civil engineering. We have had students progress to a wide range of different types of careers after completing the course.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact QE Academy Trust directly.