Hair and Media Make-up Level 2 Diploma at Eastleigh College
The programme is a careful balance of theory and practical work. You will be able to gain extra experience in the College salon and reception area, as well as by attending lectures and tutorials.
An insight into the career prospects of beauty therapy can be gained when we visit the industrys largest beauty exhibition in London, as well as participation in Industry Week. Students will also participate in community activities and provide services such
as face painting, overall looks, and prom make-overs.
Your commercial skills will develop through instruction and practice working on clients.
Your specialist skills will be enhanced when working in real environments like schools and charity events where an understanding of working within the time constraints, environmental conditions and communicating with the general public will be brought to the forefront.
On this one year programme you will learn about various aspects of hair and media make-up, including:
- Body art design
- Cosmetic make-up
- Photographic make-up
- The art of colouring hair
- Create an overall image related to a theme
- Shampoo and condition the hair and scalp
- Client care, consultation and communication
- Nail art
- Health and safety
- Skin tanning
- Themed face painting
- Plaiting and twisting hair
- Anatomy and physiology
We deliver a varied and diverse learning experience. This will include attending various activities outside of College, for example face painting at schools, charity events and prom fairs where you will be required to complete total looks.
You are also required to demonstrate and show off your practical ability, alongside planning and imaginative skills, with total look competitions and workshops set up. A portfolio of your own photographic evidence is created throughout the year, accompanied
by mini projects and mood boards.
Other opportunities to extend your skills are offered in Industry Week when you have the option to choose training that will enhance your present qualification, e.g. period hairstyling, casualty make-up,UV nail application, lash and brow enhancements and Mendhi skin decoration.
- You will need 4 GCSEs at grade A*-D including Science, English and Maths or a relevant Level 1 qualification.
- Any student without a GCSE at grade A*-C in English or Maths will be required to continue study in this area either through GCSE or Functional Skills. The pathway followed is dependent on the grade achieved at GCSE, screening and intended progression.
- You should have a neat and tidy appearance with a desire to demonstrate and explore your creative skills. We will also consider attendance and attainment reports from previous education, alongside a successful college interview.
- Students who do not meet the entry requirements may be offered a place on Level 1 Beauty Therapy or Level 1 Hairdressing. This will support progression onto Level 2 in the following year
Your theory and practical work will be continually assessed throughout the programme.
- A portfolio will be built up containing assignments, projects, practical observations and external exams.
- Students are expected to meet set industry and professional standards to pass practical observations. Your lecturer will support you through this process and offer regular feedback to ensure standards are met.
- Photographic evidence is an essential part of the programme.
You require a uniform with shoes, costing approximately £65.
A professional tool kit and products to allow you to practice at home and in College (costing approximately £200) and a professional face painting kit (costing approximately 55) are required.
Additional fees may be charged for trips or industry qualifications offered during Industry Week.
On successful completion of Level 2 Hair and Media Make-up, students may wish to progress onto Level 3 Theatrical, Special Effects and Hair and Media Make-up or into employment in the industry as a freelance hair and make-up artist within the photographic, TV/film, theatre sectors or abroad working in kids clubs etc.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Eastleigh College directly.