French A Level at Adeyfield School
This course will build on and develop the language and skills that were studied at GCSE. You will increase your range of vocabulary and grammatical structures so that you gain confidence to speak and write French at length with greater spontaneity and sophistication. You will be able to understand a wide range of other spoken and written resources. It also offers opportunities to explore the culture and history of France and French speaking countries. If you want to use French in your future career and if you wish to study it at University this course is essential preparation for this.
In Year 12 you study 4 topics which are then further divided into sub-topics. These include the following and cover a wide range of linguistic and cultural areas.
- Media: TV, Advertising and communication technology.
- Popular Culture/ Young people’s interests in France today: Cinema, music and fashion trends.
- Healthy Lifestyle: Sport/exercise, health and well- being and free time/ holidays.
- Family and Relationships: Relationships within the family, friendships, marriage and partnerships.
In Year 12 there are exams in June and consist of 2 units.
- Unit 1 consists of a 2 hour written exam in Listening, Reading and Writing which constitutes 70% of the AS and can be put forward as 35% of the A2.
- Unit 2 consists of a speaking test which has duration of 35 minutes – 20 minutes of which are preparation time. This is worth 30% of the AS level and 15% of the A2.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Adeyfield School directly.